1.02.2007


This one is about a conversation. I was talking with a co-worker the other day and the topic of me being a Christian came up. He shook his head and asked ‘man Ben. When are you going to open up your eyes? How can you box yourself into something like that?

The dialogue was a good distraction from having to do any work for about fifteen minutes as we stood there talking while the other guys did all the work. It was really interesting, and surprisingly draining on my part. I won’t go into too much detail, but he did raise many good points. Remarkably I had some answers for him, and oddly enough for questions that I had never really thought about. Questions that I had never even asked myself. Questions that I bypassed because there’s something inside of me that simply says ‘I just believe it.’
There are many wonders and mysteries of God and faith and the bible and everything that I haven’t the faintest clue about, but I’m reassured that that is alright. I don’t have to have all the answers. Inside, I simply believe in God, and even though there are things that don’t make sense to me, it doesn’t alter the way I feel. And this was my answer for many of his questions, a simple ‘I don’t know, there’s just something inside of me that causes me to have faith and believe it to be true.' He stated he finds it easier to believe that we evolved from tiny particles than to believe God created Adam and then Eve from his rib. He believes in the possibility of God, heaven and hell, but he also believes in the possibility of reincarnation. He asked how I can believe in something I can’t see. I told him to look around and up into the sunset and asked him how he can believe that wind exists if you cannot see it. He gave the right answer, that he can see the effects of the wind but cannot see the wind itself. It made him think. He asked how I would feel if I found out when I die that God doesn’t exist, wont I feel like I missed out on a lot of things. I asked him how he would feel if He stood face to face with God when he died and God asked him why he didn’t believe in Him. If you believe your two options are choosing to believe in God, or believe in Reincarnation then here is my theory:
-If you believe in God, die and find out that it’s all a hoax and you just get reincarnated, then go ahead and do everything you didn’t before, because who really cares now.
-If you believe in reincarnation however, you die and it turns out to be the hoax, there’s no turning back.

One of his final questions was if God really loves him and made him in His image, then if he dies and stands face to face with God, as a person who didn’t believe in God his whole life, then God should welcome him in to heaven no matter what… if He really loves him. ‘Why would God want to punish something that he created and loves’ he asked, ‘What if He doesn’t show himself to me, I never hear about Him, a missed opportunity and I never get the chance to accept Him, do I become a write-off in God’s eyes when I’m standing there in front of Him?’

‘I’m telling you right now man. This is your opportunity,’ I answered.

No comments: